Sunday, October 10, 2010

In Which I Was Encouraged to View Things Differently

A damned long time ago, when I was a high school junior, I had encountered another adult-generated annoyance, and I was taking it out on the physical environment: specifically, slamming my locker and kicking it for good measure.

My friend Darryl asked what was wrong, and I (in the role of Captain Obvious) answered, "I'm just pissed off!"

His response was quick and very effective: "It's better to be pissed off than to be pissed on."

That timely little comeback has served me repeatedly in later life.  Certainly, life can give us a ration of shit that causes us to be pissed off; but it's better than to be pissed on.

Darryl:  Here's one for you, good buddy.  May your life be prosperous!

No comments:

Post a Comment