Sunday, June 8, 2014

Up to My Wazoo in Spam!

Political spam chafes my butt.

Pardon my bluntness, but I feel this needs to be said.

Spam (not the Hormel type) has been around since almost the advent of the internet, and I remember having to filter through penis enlargement ads, messages from distressed Nigerian princes in need of a short-term money support, practically daily missives from companies I've done business with in the past, and so forth.

As a matter of fact, I get more spam than readable content.  As most of us do.

Several e-mail providers, like Google and Hotmail, offer spam filters; but there is one form of spam that manages to get under the wire.

It's spam generated by friends and family.

For example, one of my sisters-in-law has a proclivity to send right-wing spam to all on her list, regardless of their possible orientation or interest.  What's worse: in doing so she makes my e-mail address available to others, who might send me more stuff.  Or ask for money.  (No, I don't want to be asked to help fund a nephew's mission to convert the heathen Alaskans.)

I have a left-wing cousin who makes a similar general mailing.  It's like there is a left-wing versus right-wing spam arms race going on.

But there's no one thinking that perhaps I would simply like to be left alone.

Or that the e-mail address they send it to is for professional purposes only.

We need some generally accepted form of spam etiquette.  Or at least a means of opting out of spam and other general mailings.

I hate to be be rude about it, so I fall on the next best approach. 

I block mail from the sender of political spam.   And I'm an equal opportunity spam blocker.

5 comments:

  1. I have six email addresses. Some I only check every few months just to delete "all". And that reminds me, I haven't done that in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Mike, I have several email addresses. I start giving out my hotmail, and my gmail is the last. I seldom check my hotmail, and gmail has a good spam filter.

    I hate it when people forward crap. Especially politlcal crap and cute shit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I want politics, I'll seek it out myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with the others ... I have multiple e-mail accounts. One is our family account, which is pretty much filled with spam. One is linked to my blog and is only for readers who want to communicate with me. One is my spam trap that I give out whenever some business wants an e-mail address. And the third is my personal, private account that I give only to carefully selected individuals. Political spam drives me up the wall, although not nearly as much as political, business, and charity solicitation robo-calls at home, especially late in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, i hate when folks do mass emails (on any topic) and don't bcc everyone!

    ReplyDelete